Reducing or Declining Your Federal Loans

If you want to decline or reduce the amount of federal direct loans you will receive, you need to submit a Data Change Form (DCF).

Steps to complete the DCF

  1. Log in to view your award status.
  2. Under “You are required to” on the award letter, you’ll see a link for “Data Change Form (DCF).”
  3. Complete the form, making any adjustments you need to your enrollment status, housing status, and federal loans. To cancel a federal loan completely, enter “0” in the boxes under “Change To.”
  4. Click “Submit Changes.”

If you have no changes to your aid, you do not need to submit the DCF. You will not be able to increase the amount of loans offered to you.

Declining Fall 2016 Only

If you are declining the loan completely, enter a “0” in the semester in which you would like to decline.

You can just decline fall, but you will need to submit any Master Promissory Notes and entrance counseling forms as soon as possible to avoid delays with your aid in the spring. Submit both at

Recently submitted?

Your document will be reviewed by a financial aid counselor and will reflect any changes you make within 24-48 hours.

You will still need to pay your term bill before the changes are reflected – just pay the full amount you owe as if the loans were not on the bill.

Questions about charges on your bill, enrolling in a payment plan, or paying your term bill can be directed to the Office of Student Accounting, Billing, and Cashiering.