IRS Data Retrieval Tool
Committed to making your education affordable
Did you know you can expedite the processing of your FAFSA by using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT)? The IRS DRT electronically transfers your federal tax return information into your FAFSA.
Using the IRS DRT
Students and parents who filed their IRS tax return are able to use the IRS DRT option on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). By using the IRS DRT, we are less likely to request additional income information from you, which streamlines the processing of your application and avoids unnecessary delays.
Follow these steps to transfer your tax information into your FAFSA:
- Log in to your current FAFSA, or start a new FAFSA at fafsa.gov.
- In the finances section of the FAFSA, you will see a “Link to IRS” button if you are eligible to use the IRS DRT.
- Click the “Link to IRS” button and log in to the IRS site to retrieve your tax return information.
- Review your tax return information, and see the tax data that will be transferred into your FAFSA.
- Check the “Transfer My Tax Information into the FAFSA” box, and click the “Transfer Now” button.
- Review your federal tax return information that has been transferred into the data fields on your FAFSA.
Not able to use the IRS DRT? You can explore alternative methods to submit your tax return transcripts. Keep in mind, requesting the transcript from the IRS without using the DRT will likely cause delays with processing your financial aid.