Faculty Information

The Registration Process

The University registration process is comprised of four components:

  1. Preregistration
  2. Add/drop and Continuing Registration
  3. Late Registration and Final Add/Drop
  4. Cancellation of Registration

When is Preregistration?

Preregistration takes place in late October and early November for the Spring semester and in late March and early April for the Fall semester. During this period, students may register using WEBREG, or thru in-person registration.

Continuing graduate students may register at any time, once the registration process begins.

Undergraduate students follow a descending degree credit schedule, resulting in seniors registering first, followed by juniors, etc. The registration system blocks undergraduate students from adding or dropping courses on days other than those assigned to their degree credit group.

When is the Add/Drop period and what does the process consist of?

The Add/Drop period generally occurs during the first two weeks of the semester. Students may add and drop courses to finalize their registrations. The actual add/drop dates are determined by the University Senate prior to the beginning of the semester, and it can vary each semester. Also, the Senate’s decision supersedes any previously advertised add/drop dates. Therefore, students must check their campus specific website at the beginning of each semester to determine the latest registration information available. Students may use WEBREG or in-person registration, but undergraduates must register following a descending degree credit schedule (similar to the preregistration schedule).

Instructors may assign special permission numbers to students during this period. Instructors should not advise students to go to the Registrar’s Office to add a course because there appears to be empty seats in a classroom. An empty seat is not necessarily an indication that there are spaces available in a class. Some students do not attend the first class meetings of a course but are registered for the course and will attend.  Each department establishes the number of spaces/seats available in their respective courses.

Late Registration and Final Add/Drop Period

Students who have not pre-registered or have a financial obligation to the University may register “late” during the first five days of the semester. These students must first make contact with the Cashier’s Office to pay their term bills or the appropriate department for any other outstanding financial obligations.

What is a Special Permission number and when is it necessary?

Special permission numbers are course/section related. These numbers are needed by students in order to register for courses that have reached their stop points/closed to additional students. In addition, special permission numbers are required to override the class year, school, or major restrictions on a course. Please be aware that if you give a student a special permission number to override a class year, school, or major restriction, the special permission number will allow the student to register for the course even if the course has reached its stop point, resulting in too many students in the course (not enough seats for the total number registered for the course).

Instructors will receive a list of special permission numbers from their departments. These numbers are not generated by the Registrar’s Office. Requests for additional special permission numbers must be made through your department. Requiring special permission numbers after the add period is over allows an instructor to determine if a student may enter his/her class at the late date.

Instructors must keep a record of the student(s) to whom they have given a special permission number. Please check with your department regarding their policy for special permission numbers and how they are assigned.

Special permission numbers are course/section specific and can only be used once. They cannot be shared among students.

What is a prerequisite override and when is it necessary?

Departments determine what course(s) a student must take, prior to, or in conjunction with a specific course. If the instructor or the department waives the requirement of the prerequisite or co-requisite course, the student should be given a “prerequisite override”

How do financial holds affect registration?

If a student has an outstanding term bill balance or parking violations at the time of registration for the next term, they will be blocked from registering. In order to register for the next term’s classes, a student must satisfy their financial obligation from the current term.

How do I obtain student information?

To obtain a student’s schedule, log on to the Unofficial Transcript and Grades system via CAS and enter the students RUID.

To obtain a student’s email address, permanent address, or PO Box, go to: People Search and enter the student’s last name, first name.